Wandering through history...
The citadel of Blaye is a UNESCO heritage site and was designed by Vauban, an engineer who was commissioned by King Louis XIV to strengthened the existing fortifications to protect the city of Bordeaux. Blaye is located upstream on the estuary of the Garonne River and its location and geography of the land had historically made it the perfect place from which to protect the city of Bordeaux. In the 17th century, the cannons at that time did not have sufficient range to cover the width of the river. Vauban built two more forts - one on the island in the middle of the Garonne and the other on the Medoc side. This design allowed the 3 forts to cross-fire and prevent enemies from sailing to Bordeaux.
The citadelle was designed between 1685 and 1689 and became a walled city built around a parade ground, a monastery and several barracks. Included inside this citadel are ruins of a 12th century castle, a 12th century gate and the Eguilette tower built in the 15th century.
Walking around today, these ruins and buildings are still evident and many have been converted into hotels, restaurants, boutiques and cafes. It's a wonderful place to wander around and take in both the history of this fortress and the beautiful views of the Garonne River and the city of Blaye itself.
|Looking toward the walls at the Citadelle|
|Entering in at one of the gates|
|My middle daughter taking some photos|
|The ruins of the Castle|
|Great place to explore and run around!|
|The girls loved exploring and climbing around|
|View of the Garonne from the Citadelle|
|Looking up toward the mouth of the Garonne - toward the Atlantic Ocean|
|More of the Citadelle with the city of Blaye in the distance|
|Checking out her photos|
|Clouds & rain rolling through the river|
|The Citadelle sits up on a hill overlooking the river|
|Restaurant inside the fortress|
|Fun Boutique sign|
|Sun setting behind the convent building|
|End of the day - clouds and sun|