Saturday, January 4, 2014

2013-Expat Life in Bordeaux, France-Year in Photo Review

Looking back on 2013 - Life in Bordeaux, France
Twelve months full of travel, exploration 
& everyday fun.


This has been a fun post to put together - it's nice to recap a year and really look at all that we did, accomplished and enjoyed. I'm hoping many of these photos also capture the enjoyment and love that we feel for this area and our life now. Bordeaux has been a great place to be this past year.  Honestly, it's truly about what you choose to do, places to explore and people you choose to do all this with.  Most of our family trips this year were close by, but that really didn't matter as this is such a beautiful area. The Winter and Spring of 2013 were very cloudy and rainy, but we choose to grab moments and enjoy them.  Summer and Fall definitely helped our moral and we continued to enjoy the outdoors.
January
Celebrated the New Year  2013 with friends and family at our house - with a traditional French dinner.

My mother & I went to Vienna, Austria for a visit before she headed back to the States in mid-January.
A little mother/daughter time is always fun no matter what age!!

My oldest daughter turned 12 - enjoyed a sleep-over party with her friends.
Read more about her celebration - here

My middle daughter turned 9 - Had a glamour-make-up themed party with her friends - Described Here

February

The girl's all took ballet in 2013 - My youngest stretching

My middle daughter during an observation class in the Winter

My oldest has danced since she was 2 - continued to take ballet (called Classique-here) and Modern Jazz classes

Attended a Chocolate Festival in Bordeaux - Fun sculptures & gifts
Read more about it - Here

March
Both older daughters had ski trips with their classes in the Pyrenees-
My middle daughter had an interesting experience - read about it here

Carnaval at my youngest daughter's maternelle - love the costumes & smiles!
This is a tradition in French Maternelle - Read more Here

The new bridge opened in Bordeaux - I think everyone in Bordeaux went to the official ceremony
Read more about that morning Here

During Winter Break - The girls and I took a trip to La Rochelle
Really fun city - Wrote about it here

April
My husband & I along with good friends (left all the kids at home) &  toured the Medoc during their Portes Ouvertes.
Delicious and learned a lot too!

Easter was spent at Chateau Vayres on the Dordogne River with friends - Talked about it here

The kids and their good friends on Easter

I got to meet one of my favorite authors - Tatiana de Rosnay in Bordeaux
Magical evening - Talked more about that experience - here
May

Spring Break brought a little sunshine - trip to Lacanau Beach on the Atlantic Ocean
More photos & post here

Playing in the Mirror Pool in Bordeaux  -This is always a fun spot

The girls always loved hanging out with their friends at the mirror pool


Visit to Chateau La Brede - home of Montesquieu - Wrote about it here


Long weekend in Lourdes as a family - Described some of what we did here and our afternoon in Cauterets here.
Still need to post part II .

June
Kermesse at the Maternelle - Such a fun end of the year tradition in France - Read more  here

End of the year Program at the Elementary School - they all sing & dance

My oldest at her Synchronized Swim gala - More information about here team and experiences here

Father's Day on the Dune de Pyla with good friends again - Wrote about it here.

Fun on the beach! - We said "goodbye" to our American friends who moved back to the States in July - We miss them!

July
Carcans Maubuisson - Lake near Lacanau - Nice warm water without the huge waves or riptides - Posted about it here

Lots of bike riding & walking through parks - Bourgailh
This park is an easy bike ride from our house - Love it! - Post about this park & another here.

Parc Montgaillard in Gradignan - another great place to walk around, picnic & relax.

Rock & Country Festival in Rochefort - youngest and oldest (in background) on trampolines
Talked more about this festival here.
August
Trip to Dordogne Region - Lots of small villages & festivals
Posts about this area - here and here.

Chateau Des Milandes - home of Josephine Baker

A day canoeing on the Dordogne River
More beautiful photos and description of our afternoon here

Chateau de Montreal -near Perigueux - Spontaneous stop on the way home
September
Back to School - CP (1st grade), CM1(4th grade) & 5eme (7th grade) - Wrote about La Rentree in France - here

First day of School - at our Elementary - Discussed our  experience of choosing schools here.

I spent a long weekend in Paris visiting my sister-in law - Toured Musee Marmottan -
 houses the largest Monet collection!


Fun watching the "Super Hero/Science Fiction themed" Marathon du Medoc - as they ran through the vineyards!
This marathon is like no other - Read about it here.

October
Birthdays were celebrated - my youngest turned 6 - Read about her party - here.
My husband & I also enjoy our special days.
Enjoyed more Portes Ouvertes - Graves & Pessac- Leognan

Biking and festivals - Site du Bourgailh
Halloween celebrations - parties & trick or treating
Read here about how we celebrated our American holiday

November
End of Toussaint vacation - trip to St. Jean de Luz

Looking toward Spain - from Ciboure & The Horn 

Taught my youngest daughter's class about Thanksgiving
This was a great day - feel free to read more abut it here.

Celebrated our Thanksgiving with friends and dinner for 15!
December

Some of the Lights in the city of Bordeaux - See more photos here.

Enjoying holiday activities in our town of Pessac - Lot of kid activities & music!

Celebrated Christmas with both sides of our family - Read about our traditions here.

Feeling very blessed this year.  My goals for 2014 are simple: to continue to enjoy those special family moments, live, love and share ourselves with each other.  This blog has become a wonderful place for me to share our lives but also to connect with others and benefit from how other people touch our lives too! The friendships I have made through blogging have enriched my life and in turn my family's - I cherish them tremendously!  I am truly touched and honored by all of those people who contact me for various reasons - it makes it feel like a small world at times. When we posted our decision about staying in France (Read about it here)-I was so honored by the comments and compliments for this post. I truly can't say how much it touched my soul to hear from so many readers.  Thank you!! Additionally, my recent post about our neighborhood - as part of the Show Me Your Neighborhood Series (here ) also had great feedback and comments. This motivates me to keep sharing and develop new thoughts and ideas on this blog.  Currently, I am  interested in learning about other multi-cultural families and how they blend traditions and cultures.

I know I have learned so much just by writing and also reading other blogs.  Again, thank you to everyone to who reads and comments - it is so enriching for me and my family!! We learn so much from everyone! Happy 2014 and I look forward to staying in touch and making new connections! Wishing everyone good health, fortune, joy & love for this coming year.

2 comments:

  1. I love this post. What a beautiful recap of a great year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Zosia - so nice to hear from you. Best of luck with you upcoming move - looking forward to reading more about your adventures abroad!!

      Delete

Thank you for reading and visiting my blog. Feel free to leave a comment - I love hearing from people!

Popular Posts